This is the second day in Arezzo, and I
feel as though I am finally able to start soaking in this
experience. The flight and bus ride yesterday were exhausting but
everything went really smoothly – no lost passports, bags, or
people. I would call that a success! We arrived just in time for a
yummy pasta lunch at the Accademia dell'Arte. The Accademia is a 16th
century bishops palace that has been converted into a school for
music and theater students, and will be our home for the semester. It is nestled in a small hilltop,
and is just a short walk away from the Duomo and
downtown Arezzo. Walking into town is simple – turn right at the
aqueduct and left at the cathedral. You can't miss it :)
 |
| The Accademia dell'Arte |
 |
| The aqueduct!!! |
 |
| The Duomo. |
In order to fight off the jet lag, we
decided to walk downtown and do some exploring. Downtown Arezzo is
absolutely gorgeous! The town was founded in 800 BC by the Etruscans,
and is full of wonderful examples of ancient architecture and
history. As we wandered around, we came across this adorable little
gelato shop. Sitting in the town square eating our first taste of nutella
gelato was something like a religious experience. Whoever thought of
that genius combination should be considered for sainthood –
seriously. Overall it was a wonderful first day, and I'm excited about exploring more of the city.
 |
| Buildings in downtown Arezzo. |
 |
| The front door of the Accademia. |
 |
| The Duomo (again). I just like taking pictures of it :) |
No comments:
Post a Comment