In a previous post, I mentioned that my
favorite part of Florence was the Museo di San Marco. The Museo is
actually the Dominican convent where Fra Angelico lived and painted.
Because his frescoes are considered an important part of art history,
it has been converted into an art museum.
I first heard about Fra Angelico when
my little brother studied him for a project. My mom made him this
elaborate habit so that he looked like a little friar when he
presented his poster. So cute! My next introduction to Fra Angelico
occurred in my freshmen year at Furman, during a class in which we
studied painting and poetry. I remember seeing Fra Angelico's
Annuciation, on the overhead
projector, wondering what it would be like to see it in person.

Well,
there I was, standing in front of this magnificent fresco on a
Saturday afternoon. Of course, I remembered what it looked like from
class, but there was so much more to this painting than can be seen
on an overhead. For instance, Gabriel's wings actually sparkle.
Apparently, Fra Angelico crushed pieces of glass and rocks and
incorporated it with the paint to achieve the effect. No glitter
needed! I wish I could have brought my camera inside and taken
pictures up close – it was absolutely stunning. The rest of the
convent did not disappoint either! Each room has its own painting,
depicting some event in the life of Christ. The crucifixion was a
common theme, especially for the hall where the novices stayed. It
was such a peaceful experience, and was a wonderful break from the
busy streets of Florence! I can't wait to go back with my Mom :)
 |
| Shannon, our FABULOUS tour guide. |
 |
| The gardens outside the convent. |
No comments:
Post a Comment