The past few days at the Accademia have
been exhausting! The pianists and singers (9 of us altogether) have
been working on Brahms' Neue Liebeslieder, and had the opportunity to
work on it with an Italian music professor. Prof. Marzola was an
organist in college, as well as a vocalist, accompanist, and
conductor. He teaches at the Music Conservatory in Milan, and is also
part of several Baroque music ensembles. Needless to say, I was a tad
bit intimidated by him!
He spent hours rehearsing with us,
pouring over the music measure by measure. I thought that I had been
pretty meticulous learning the piece. So much for that! Prof.
Marzola put our ensemble through the musical gauntlet! He had an idea
of how every note should sound and wanted to make sure that we did as
well. He stopped us after almost every measure because we weren't
playing expressively enough, or because we weren't being completely
true to the score. The frustration during the rehearsals was
palpable, but it was exactly what our ensemble needed. Listening for
subtle musical expressions and mood changes was difficult at
first, but after a couple of days, I started to notice a substantive
change in the ensemble. Not only did we sound more cohesive, but we
were finally making music. The master classes and rehearsals truly
transformed the way that I thought about the piece, and myself as a
musician.
If there is one thing that I've learned
in Italy, it is how to listen. Anyone who knows me at
least halfway decently will know that I love to talk. I have always
wanted to be a better listener, and being in Italy is giving me more
lessons than I expected. There is nothing that will make you stop and
listen more than not being able to communicate with 80 % of the
people that you meet!
Before I came on this trip, one of my Furman
professors told me that this experience would change my life. At the
time, I thought that was a bit of an overstatement, if not
false altogether. Now I'm wondering if the idea is not so far fetched
after all. Being thrown into a completely new environment teaches you
a lot about yourself (I have to remind myself this every time I feel
frustrated by a new experience). Yes,
we are on this trip to travel, but first and foremost, we are
students. This semester feels the least like “school,” yet I feel
the most like a “student.” How's that for ironic?
The pictures have nothing to do with the post, but I thought it might be fun to include some more pictures of Arezzo.
| A leather shop that we found. |
![]() |
| I'm definitely coming back with one of these bracelets! |
![]() |
| A beautiful garden that we pass on our way into to town. |
![]() |
| More of the garden. |



No comments:
Post a Comment