Saturday, August 11, 2012

Travel Reflections


I'll be the first to admit that I'm more than just a little skeptical about recording my thoughts in a blog. Let's be honest, I can count on....2 fingers how many times I've mustered the will power to write in my diary for more than a week. However, I am determined to be a dedicated blogger. Why? Because I believe that the next four months will change my life. Furthermore, I think this could be a meaningful way to share my travel experiences with everyone back home.

As I scoured the internet in search of a creative title for this blog (clearly I didn't find one), I came across many an inspirational travel quote. This quote in particular, made quite the impression on me:

“To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” 

-Bill Bryson

This is such a wonderful mentality! I've been dreaming about the incredible churches, museums, and artwork that I'll see in Europe, but I think that if I want to make the most of this experience, I need to dream about more than that. This trip is an opportunity to see everything, even the most ordinary, everyday things, anew. Let the adventure begin!




2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary, I tried to comment earlier, but I think my words dissolved somewhere over the Atlantic. I LOVE your pictures!!! And your excellent descriptions! This is a terrific documentation of one fabulous adventure! I especially relate to the feeling that this can't be school, but you sure are learning. Best wishes for continued bliss! Love, Cousin Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for reading the blog! I am definitely having the time of my life here :) Right now, I'm in the midst of planning a trip to Paris. We'll be staying there for a week and will take some day trips to Versailles and Amboise. Thank you so much for your advice about Paris - if it weren't for your email, I would be planning on going to WAY too many places instead of just thoroughly enjoying a few. It was so nice to hear from you. I hope you are your family are doing well :)

    ReplyDelete