Friday, December 14, 2012

Roughing it in Versailles


With the prospect of some sunny weather, we decided that this was our chance to explore Versailles. We caught the (very) early train which took us to the center of suburban Versailles. After a quick coffee pitstop to awake us from our sleep deprived stupor, we were ready to take on Versailles. 
Entrance to Versailles.

Hall of Mirrors.


Versailles is famous for its colossal palace which was occupied by the French royal family. What I didn't know is that just behind the palace are acres of perfectly manicured gardens, as well as the royal family's humble summer “home.” 

One of many beautiful ceilings in Versailles.

Sculpture corridor.

Touring the palace gave me a lot of insight into French culture during the time of Louis XIV. I don't think I have ever seen anything quite so lavish as the king's private chambers. There was even a “viewing section” in his room where people could pay to watch the king fall asleep and wake up every day. I got the sense that Louis took his role as the Sun King very seriously. 

Our first view of the gardens.

The palace from afar.

After touring the palace, we walked through the royal gardens. Every shrub and tree was perfectly maintained and looked as though it might not be real. The fountains were equally incredible, as were the sculptures that stood along the major paths through the garden. After walking deeper into the garden, we came across an oak orchard where we got some serious looks of judgements by Versailles' more cultured visitors after we ran through the leaves (I guess you're supposed to stay on the path).




Next on the tour was the summer palace of Versailles. You see, living in Versailles is far too stressful, and having a summer palace gave the royal family a place where they could actually relax. This way, they didn't have to deal with the all their servants and the people bringing them gifts. Much, much too stressful. I don't know how they dealt with it!

The summer palace.
A room in the summer palace.


And with this beautiful sunset, we said 'Au revoir' to Versailles.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment